IMPACT OF TECHNOLOGY ON BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT IN NIGERIA
1.1 BACKGROUND OF THE STUDY
This project tends to introduce us to some of the modern office technology facilities/machines that are used effectively in business administration in Nigeria. Based on the trends of events today we can see that the world or most business organization are adjusting form the old method of keeping records using files to a more advance and improved technological means using machines such as computer, typewriter machines, calculative, photocopy machines etc. An office has referred to as a place or room where clerical work is been performed habitually.
According to Show (1974:1) further defines an office as a place where procedures concerned with the receipt transmittal, production, processing storage and retrieval of information are carried out habitually. “The term electrical work” therefore refers to reading, writing, sorting, filling, typing, duplicating, calculating, photocopying etc. The office therefore serves as the administrative and organizational center of any organization which controls the activities of that organization and sees to its clerical managerial and co-coordinator activities.
Technological has been referred to in advanced learners dictionary of current English as the systematic application of knowledge to practical task in industry. According to Romiszowake (1984) it is creative application of science industrial (or any practical) purpose. The three definitions seen to be similar as science can be regarded as any body of tested knowledge, which may be expressed in the form of a set general principle office technology can be defined as the study of the methodology or technique of the use and application of automated systems to the executing of secretarial and office functions.
ADVANTAGES OF OFFICE TECHNOLOGY
It helps to solve multitude of problems
1. Labour Saving: The use of office technology will bring about a saving in labour by either reducing payroll or increasing the output of existing number of staff.
2. Time Saving: Time is saved by the use of office machines (Technology). Tasks, which could have taken hours if done manually, would be computed in no time if machines were used.
3. Neatness of Job Done: Neatness of job is obtain with the use of machines.
4. Lessen the Chance of Fraud: Different job is obtain through the use of machines it can help in reduction of fraud in various office.
DISADVANTAGES OF OFFICE TECHNOLOGY
1. Cost: Most of the modern office machines e.g. computer word processors, electric typewriters etc are expensive.
2. Unpredictable Breakdown: Machine can breakdown unpredictable at a time when an urgent work is in progress.
3. Repair Service & Spare Pants: At times, when a machine have a problem, it will be hard to get the parts and also the qualified person than can work it out.
4. Scarcity of Operators: Its very difficult to get a qualified experienced person that can handled the machine accurately.
FUNCTIONS OF AN OFFICE
Functions of an office can be remembered by the mnemonic “RRAGS”
1. Receiving Information: This office receives all the information that comes into the organization. The information may be in the form of letters, telephone calls, personal callers (visitors) etc.
2. Recording Information: They record all the activities of the business or government personnel matters, cash must be documented. It is the function of the organization/office to record. Keep and relieve all useful information which the organization may need from time to time.
3. Arranging Information: The office arranges information for the organization. The information received and documented by the office is not always in a form in which it will be given out or in which it will be given out or in which it can be used by the organization.
4. Giving Information: The office gives out information on behalf of the organization. It is the office that has direct contact with the customers and outsides such as letters pricelists etc.
5. Safeguarding: The office safeguards the assets of an organization such as property, stores/goods official documents etc.
1.2 STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM
Technology has revolutionized office procedure and consequently records management. Technology has provided modern office equipment like microfilm computer. IBM Typewriters, internet etc. Their introduction have made management records very effective for example, records can be stored without much efforts unlike the days when records are in paper (files) which can easily be damaged.
This study therefore geared towards finding out the machines and equipment (Technology) available in business administration in Nigeria. Notwithstanding this the use of some these technology innovative devices have been discredited. This is because some researchers have said that the adoption of this automated system have aided the increase in the turnout of papers and have gone a long way to confuse management instead of aiding decision making and cutting cost. these problems do not emanate from the system, rather form the way they are being operated and used by business administrations.
1.3 OBJECTIVES OF STUDY
The main purpose of this study is to investigate the influence of modern office technology on the effectiveness of business administration in Nigeria, the study will achieve the following objectives.
1. Ascertain the effect of office technology on business organization in Nigeria.
2. Know how to eliminate the problem of insecurity of information by using these modern technology equipment.
3. Identify some of the internal service in some state in Nigeria.
4. Identify the modern technology facilities used by managers like the computer.
5. To some of the factors militating against the use of the machines.
1.4 SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STUDY
At the end of this study one will be able to know the impact of these technology in business administration in Nigeria. We will also observe the change in the personnel for instance, today secretaries are meant to be computer literate or also the will be flush out system.
In other words, these changes occur not in their biological evolution of course but in their knowledge of an attitude towards automation. It is a change in the training and experiences that personnel bring to their work in the office. This study is limited to those technology that art a used by business administrations e.g. the computer, IBM typewriter word processor, microfilmed, time recording machines. Nevertheless, there are certain problems encountered by the researcher in the course of this study involve.
a. Lack of fund to travel to various places
b. Time constraint due to limited period we have for the research.
1.5 SCOPE OF THE STUDY
This study examines the role played in the achievement of organizational goals and objectives through the use of equipment/machines. This study will desire its guide from materials available in some companies hat used machines and equipment and beyond to provide fact for the proper investigation of this work. It will also examine the effectiveness and efficient used of machines in business and how it can influence them.
1.6 LIMITATION OF THE STUDY
In this research work, there is no doubt that problems were encountered, which had made the work not be easy task at all. Some of the obstacle encountered could be mentioned at first, the money at the researchers disposed to visit some outstanding companies is limited.
Some workers that is (the zonal managers) decline to disclose information at the preliminary stage, the difficulty in getting permission due to bureaucratic nature prolonging of information by the relevant officials of the organization and also that of transportation problems.
It is pertinent to say that the researcher was one time disappointed when they directed to their headquarter at Onitsha and Lagos in getting the information from the relevant officials (i.e. the administrative manages). It was very difficult for me to get the information their headquarter.
How do i choose a Project Topic?
Look for your department and select any topic of your choice
I have a fresh topic that is not on your website. How do I go about it?
How fast can i get a complete project from your website?
Within 15 minutes if the exact project topic is on our website
Is it a complete research project or just materials?
It is a Complete Research Project i.e Chapters 1-5, Abstract, Table of Contents, Full References, Questionnaires / Secondary Data
One of your topics suites my project, but the case study is different. What do i do?
Call Our Instant Help Desk Now: +234 814 010 7220 and you will be responded to immediately
How do i get my complete project?
Your Complete Project Material will be sent to your Email Address in Ms Word document format
Can I get my Complete Project through WhatsApp?
Yes! We can send your Complete Research Project to your WhatsApp Number
What if my Project Supervisor made some changes to a topic i picked from your website?
Call Our Instant Help Desk Now: +234 814 010 7220 and you will be responded to immediately
Do you assist students with Assignment and Project Proposal?
Yes! Call Our Instant Help Desk Now: +234 814 010 7220 and you will be responded to immediately
What if i do not have any project topic idea at all?
Smiles! We've Got You Covered. Chat with us on WhatsApp Now to Get Instant Help: +234 814 010 7220
How can i trust this site?
We are well aware of fraudulent activities that have been happening on the internet. It is regrettable, but hopefully declining. However, we wish to reinstate to our esteemed clients that we are genuine and duly registered with the Corporate Affairs Commission as "PRIMEDGE TECHNOLOGY". This site runs on Secure Sockets Layer (SSL), therefore all transactions on this site are HIGHLY secure and safe!